Monday, November 5, 2018

Shadow Box Card with Laura


Hi everyone! It's Laura here, and today I am back with a fun birthday card and a video I made using the Gerda Steiner Designs Owl Rather Be With You stamp set! I was so fascinated by Jennifer McGuire's tutorial about shadow box cards, that I had to give it a shot!
As a first step we stamped my images with Black Licorice Hybrid ink by My Favorite Things on Neenah Solar White Cardstock and colored them with my Spectrum Noir markers. I then fussy cut them with my EK Success Cutterbee Scissors.


For the two cloudy backgrounds I used a cloud stencil and Distress Oxides, which I blended with my Distress Ink Blending Brushes. For the blue sky I used Peacock Feathers and Tumble Glass, and for the red/yellow sky I used Fossilized Amber, Wild Honey and Fired Brick. 
I added some subtle shimmer to both backgrounds using Perfect Pearls: I used the color Perfect Pearl on the blue sky, and Perfect Copper on the red sky. 


I then used the a circular frame die to cut a circle out of the red sky. I used the same die to obtain the brown frame.
For the shadow box itself you are going to need two panels, which I created out of white cardstock.
The first one measures 4.25x10.5" and is scored at 4.25"
The second one measures 4.25"x11", and is scored at 0.5", 4.25" and 4.75". Because this is the panel that will form the shadow box, I die cut a rectangular opening. The opening should be created on the side between the 0.5" and the 4.25" score lines.


Before assembling the shadow box I stamped the sentiment on the front of my card. This would be the 4.25"x5.5" side of the panel with one score line only. I used the sentiments from the Owl Rather Be With You set that read "Whooo...is" "having a Birthday", and stamped them with My Favorite Things Black Licorice Hybrid Ink. I also stamped the "You are!" sentiment from the same set on a banner that I die cut from some white cardstock.


I assembled my shadow box (you can see how in the video tutorial down below), and then I decorated it with the stamped images and all the elements I had previously created. I also wanted to mention that I backed the window of the shadow box with some acetate, so that the owl, the branch and the sentiment banner would be nicely supported.



And that's my card for today! As I mentioned earlier, I created a video for this card, you can watch it down below! 


And that's it for today! I really hope you guys liked this card and enjoyed the post and the video! Thank you all so much for stopping by, and have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!