Friday, November 2, 2018

Holiday Friends Square Pillow Box | Guest Designer Gerda Steiner

Papercraft Designer and Colourist Sacha van de Kerkhof - Holiday Friends Square Pillow Box | Guest Designer Gerda Steiner

holiday friends square pillow box

I'm so excited to be a guest designer for Gerda Steiner today! With Christmas coming I chose the Holiday Friends as my stamp set to create my projects with. My first project is a Square Pillow Box as this will be so cute under the Christmas tree and my second project is a funny Christmas Card with the gingerbread men from this same stamp set.


PROJECT 1: SQUARE PILLOW BOX

merry christmas

I stamped my images on the pillow box that I cut out with a extra thick cardstock I had in my stash. The images I wanted in the front I stamped first. Then I put my masking paper from Inkadinkado on top of them and stamped the other images.

copic coloured square pillow boxgift tag with angel

I coloured the images with my Copic Markers (you can find a list of the colours I used below). In my video you'll see that when I coloured the nose of Santa the colours ran quite a bit, but I fixed that with my Colorless Blender and you won't see anything when the colouring is done.

back of pillow box with reindeerbig light blue bow

I also coloured the background with my Copic Markers. I went from my darkest at the top to the lightest at the bottom to get a nice transition. I really love how this turned out! To close the box I used a beautiful light blue bow and punched two holes in the box. That way you don't have to put any ribbon over the image.

christmas square pillow box with tag

To create the tag I used the Say What? Gift Tags from Lawn Fawn and stamped the sweet little angle. This finished the box completely. To add some shimmer and shine I used some Ranger Stickles Icicle on the halo and the wings of the angle. If you want to see how I made this box step by step you can watch the video tutorial below.

Used Copic Markers:
Front box:
- Skin Santa: E00 + E15 + E11 / R22 (nose)
- Santa hat + suit: R22 + R29 + R24 / C-3 + C-1 + C-0
- Santa's eyebrows + beard: C-3 + C-1 + C-0
- Santa's shoes: E31 + E37 + E35
- Presents: R22 + R29 + R24 / G14 / G17 + G07
- Trees: YG91 + YG99 + YG95
- Stars: Y11 + Y17
- Sky: B99 + B97 + B95
- Ground: Y99 + YG95 + YG93
Back box:
- Reindeer: E31 + E37 + E35 + R22 (cheeks)
- Nose: R22 + R29 + R24
- Bottom feet: E37 + E35 + R22
- Hooves + antlers: C-3 + C-1 + C-0
- Collar: Y11 + Y17

PROJECT 2: CHRISTMAS CARD

funny christmas card with gingerbread men

For my second project I only took the gingerbread image as I knew what I wanted to do with that right away. I love Gerda Steiner Designs for the funny designs, so I wanted to show that in my card. Just a simple design but with a fun touch.

thinking of you this christmas

I stamped the images on Neenah Cardstock and coloured them again with my Copic Markers (again, you can find a list below). I partly stamped the one gingerbread man with the half eaten leg and drew the zig zag line myself with a Copic Multi Liner. I love the faces in the stamp set, so you can stamp different faces on these gingerbread men!

three gingerbread men next to each otherone gingerbread men with half eaten leg

To give them something to ground them on, I masked off the bottom piece of the white layer and used my Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide Ink to put some colour behind the gingerbread men.

gingerbread man with shocked face

That way you get a bit of depth and definition and I love the light blue colour behind them.

holiday friends christmas card, gerda steiner

I chose the 'A Very Merry Christmas' Paper Pad from Carta Bella to cut out my layers with the Outside In Stitched (Scalloped) Rectangle Stackables from Lawn Fawn. I adhered the front layer with an angle to give it some more interest. Even though the design of this card is quite simple, I love how it turned out with these funny gingerbread men and I hope you love it too!

Measurements card inches:

- White card base: 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", score at 4-1/4"
- A Very Merry Christmas (blue) layer: 5-1/2" x 4-1/4"
- A Very Merry Christmas (red/green) layer: 5-1/4" x 4"
- A Very Merry Christmas (green) edge: 4-1/2" x 3-1/4" -/- 3-1/4" x 2"
- White layer: 3-1/2" x 2-1/4"
- A Very Merry Christmas banner: 1-5/8" x 1/2"

Measurements card centimeters:

- White card base: 14,0 x 22,6 cm, score at 10,8 cm
- A Very Merry Christmas (blue) layer: 14,0 x 10,8 cm
- A Very Merry Christmas (red/green) layer: 13,3 x 10,1 cm
- A Very Merry Christmas (green) edge: 11,4 x 8,2 cm -/- 8,3 x 5,1 cm
- White layer: 8,9 x 5,7 cm
- A Very Merry Christmas banner: 4,3 x 1,4 cm

Used Copic Markers:

- Gingerbread men: E33 + E37 + E35
- Accessoiries: BG15 (gingerbread man no. 1 / RV09 (gingerbread man no. 2 / Y13 (gingerbread man no. 3)

Video tutorial for square pillow box:


I had a great time creating these projects and it was such an honor to be a guest designer today. Thank you so much for stopping by!

If you don't want to miss any of my video's you can subscribe to my YouTube channel here:



Happy Crafting! Sacha





Product list (the Holiday Friends stamp set is available at Gerda Steiner Designs):

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!