Saturday, November 14, 2015

Create a Cute Christmas Tag

Hi crafters! I'm excited to be back as guest designer today. Gerda has such a wonderful clear stamp set for the holiday season (one among many!) that I just had to craft with it!

The set features different characters that are drawn to peek out from behind something. The images are not complete, so you don't have to worry about masking or about coloring the entire image.


I started by stamping the outline on to my tag from Pretty Pink Posh, then used masking paper to protect that outline while I sponged color in with my Distress Ink blending tool. I found out that it works best for me when I start out with the lightest color, which is the one closest to the top of the tag, and then add the darker colors which are closer to the bottom. That allows me to blend them together nicely without covering areas with darker color that are meant to stay light.


The image itself was colored with my Stabilo markers. They are water based, like Distress Markers, and to blend the color out I used a Dove Blender Pen (a Blender pen from Stamping Up works just as well). I just rediscovered this technique after using it last year, so I want to give this some more attention.

You can use a water brush or regular brush to blend out the colors, but I am not good enough to have proper control over what I am doing. But give me a blender pen with a proper marker tip (like a felt tip marker) and I'm in business! Total control :)


The I put the mask back on my colored image before stamping the sentiment from Mama Elephant and I have to admit, I like how the critter partially obscures the sentiment. It adds a nice layer effect to the otherwise simple tag.

I hope you enjoyed today's project. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!